Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tips for Travelers

Tips for Travelers

I made a list as I went of tips that I thought would help other travelers. Keep in mind that some of my tips may be more for travelers going for a long period of time and some may be more for Europe, but nevertheless, I hope these tips help you on your trip just a bit!

1. Be open! Try new food, try new things and experience new cultures with an open mind!

2. Study! Get a travel book and read about the places you are going, even if you just read about them the day before, research and learn about these places so that when you see them, they will mean so much more to you. I was very pleased with the Rick Steves' book that I saw many people carrying, but I also enjoyed the small one-city books that easily fit into my friends' purses.

3. If you will be traveling for a long period of time, you will probably need to do some washing. A friend of mine told me this, and it was a huge life-saver! I packed some string and a few clothes pin to hang my wet clothes on to dry. Tide also makes special sink packets, so that it is the right size and travels well. Both were wonderful for washing a few things here and there. Also, take small bottles of Febreeze! It is a miracle worker!

4. There are McDonald's everywhere... don't eat at them. The ones here are not that good, why would you eat at one where there is Italian food all around. Just don't do it; there's no reason.

5. Whenever you can, take a walking tour guide somewhere. If you can afford it, get one just for you or with you and whoever you are traveling with, if not, just go on one with a small group. It is amazing how much history you get! If you get a personal one too you will get to go to places you probably would not have gone on your own, places that are outside of the touristy areas.

6. If you are traveling by train, make sure to make reservations ahead of time! :) If you are traveling in Europe, and you are only going to a few countries, I see no reason to purchase a Euro Rail pass. If you are going to be there for a while, going from place to place, then it probably it is cheaper to get a Euro Rail pass, but make sure you still make reservations!

7. Last of all, but most importantly... pack lighter! Nope, even lighter, nope EVEN lighter than that! I could have packed a lot lighter and it would have made things a lot easier, especially with all of our movings! It would have made things much more enjoyable! Wear the same clothes over and over again... who cares?! Here's a challenge... we met a guy traveling by himself for several months and his only luggage was a backpack the size my students use to bring their folders to school. Just think about that one for a few minutes...

Get out there! See the world!

No comments: